Monday, March 12, 2007

I'm boycotting Toys R' Us

I am normally not a negative person, and wouldn't want anyone to get that opinion, but I hate Toys R Us. My son's birthday was last week, and since our closest Toys R Us is a 1/2 hour away, we bought all of his birthday and Christmas presents together. When we opened his toys for his birthday party, we discovered that the legs of the easel we bought him were torn off, and nicely placed in the box. When I went to return it, at two different stores (yes, I drove another half hour to get to the next closest one), they refused to replace it since I had no receipt and had purchased it more than 90 days ago - 93 days ago to be exact.

Besides the one store being completely rude to me and accusing me of stealing it, they made me call their corporate office, from my cell phone, in order to speak to someone more about what they could do for me, a.k.a. nothing! The original person I spoke to on the phone told me it was up to the stores discretion. I politely asked her to explain that to the store manager (the rude one) and she agreed, however, when she got off the phone with her, the corporate office person told me I'd need to produce a copy of my credit card statement. Do you keep yours, 'cause I don't? My husband is a police office who is insanely safety conscious and we keep no financial records that aren't manditory. The rude manager told me I should have read my receipt, because they changed their policy in July. Seven whole months ago. My bad!

The next corporate office person was no more helpful, but at least took my name and told me that they would have someone call me in 7-10 business days. I fully expect I'll receive no reply. I then went on line and checked and found sites completely devoted to others disgusted by their business practices. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs.

Although at this point I know I'm out the $50 bucks, I find it sad that they are willing to lose a customer (and anyone else I can convince) over something so trivial. I've spent over $2000 there in the last two years. Several hundred in the last three months. What would it have hurt to make me happy by replacing the toy?

1 comment:

Homeslice said...

see my earlier "i hate toys r us" comment.

you know that your credit card statements are available online, right? go print out a copy and shove it up the rude clerk's fanny. either that or call your CC company and get them to fax it to you. again, i hate toys r us.