Monday, July 7, 2008

Day of the living dead

Or at least it feels that way. For about a week now, Ryan has had no naps. Hell, but I'll deal. The hardest part is he's now having a difficult time going to sleep at night too. He insists on having his door open. Fine. Then he keeps getting out of bed. After about 20 times walking him back to his bed he finally stays, but it's typically 2 hours after I started. He also suddenly develops every possible ailment in the book requiring my immediate attention. Then, he is up literally at the crack of dawn. This morning, I went to the bathroom at 6am and he was in his room LOUDly reading a book.

So, what do I do? He is obviously crazy tired, has bags under his eyes, and is beyond cranky all day long. Please tell me this is just a phase because losing all this sleep is turning me into a zombie. I've been fairly blessed so far with sleeping (past the crazy infant stage) but lately I have become the miserable mommy because I am so tired. Help!

4 comments:

Homeslice said...

oh my god sara. i am so sorry!!! lily went through a phase like that. if you feel like he's old enough, dole out the punishments. for us, we told lily every time she got out of bed unnecessarily she lost book priviledges for the night. it worked after 2 nights.

Alicia said...

OMG, Sara, I hope it's a phase. This is why Ellie will be in her crib until she's 5. Down with toddler beds and the newfound freedom they provide.

Here's to Ry finally crashing at like 6pm tonight so you can catch up on some sleep.

Jess said...

Ahhh Sara, I'm sorry that Ry is going through this right now. Aiden went through a phase like this when he was phasing out his naps. It was awful, but it only seemed to last like 3 weeks or so. We ended up giving him an earlier bedtime (from 8:30 up to 7:30) to compensate. This worked well for us. Maybe you could try.

Sara said...

So it's not just me? This is weird behavior? Whew! Oh, and he just told me he's tired (it's 5pm), but he's not "ready" to sleep yet. ARGHHH!