Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Explaining the Inauguration to a 3 Year Old

This is Mark attempting to explain to Ry the importance of today (paraphrased):

Mark: Do you know why today is so important Ry?
Ryan: Yes.
Mark: Do you know that we are swearing in a new President today?
Ryan: Yes.
Mark: Do you know who it is?
Ryan (with a really weird look on his face): Ahhhh, no.
Mark: It's Barack Obama. And it's a big day for our country. The president makes all the rules that big people in our country have to follow.
Ryan: Ok.
Mark: It's really important because President Obama is black, and this means that no matter who you are, male or female, black or white, that you can be anything you want. It's a great thing.
Ryan: Ok..... Dad, can I go back to making my girl's (Wonder Woman) birthday cake?
Mark (seriously, while shaking his head, as I am in the background trying to hold in my giggles): Sure Ryan.
Ryan (to me): I want to get married with you mommy. (Awwweee).

Ah.... the wonder that is youth. He can say he watched this momentous event even though he has not a clue what it's about.

I am going to go cry tears of joy now - and plan my second wedding.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww, ryan! he totally has his priorities in order :-)

leaner said...

How cute your little Mama's boy is!

Jess said...

Ryan is so cute! For now he has his own priorities, which I am sure is OK with mom :P

jae said...

Awww! How sweet!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Kids are awesome, aren't they!? I'm totally jealous about the marriage proposal! I only get "Mommy...you're my best friend!"
I tried to explain the inauguration to Coops yesterday too, but after my first sentence "Today is a very important day, Cooper" when his response was "why? Is it my birthday?" I just gave up. At least Mark was persistent! LOL~