Friday, August 15, 2008

Day late 13



Thirteen Things about Sara's Favorite Books


1. Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson. She is probably my favorite author ever. I gave her a chance even though I didn't think I'd like it as her style is pretty different, but with every book I get sucked in so deep I linger over it for days after I am done. This one especially.

2. The Story of O by Pauline Reage. Um, this one just opened some doors in my mind. I will leave it at that... ;)

3. Taming the Beast by Emily Maguire. Ah, yeah, ditto to #2. But also this reminded me so much of my own destructive tendencies, essentially the pursuit of passion, it was freaking mind blowing.

4. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I read this first at 15 and could not get what people saw in it. I re-read it last year and got so much more depth out of it. His character development is superb and I got dragged into his insanity. I lost myself in it completely. I love books that do that.

5. Dry by Augusten Burroughs. Anyone who has ever lived with an alcoholic will get why this memoir is the greatest thing ever. Getting some insight into his mind was gut-wrenching one second and absolutely roll on the floor hilarious the next. My favorite of his many great books.

6. The Tattooed Girl by Joyce Carol Oates. It's set in my hometown (although not really factual) and I just loved how the main character allows himself to get sucked in by a girl who is oddly reminiscent of me at one point. SAD but loved it.

7. A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I read this for a class in college and I have re-read it several times since. It's what made me become at Atwood fan. Love her.

8. Night by Elie Wiesel. Also assigned in college but a perpetual favorite. It's short but so completely moving and life altering it's almost beyond comprehension. He also spoke at my college graduation. Amazing man.

9. The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck. Recommended by a friend and I just love Steinbeck's way of developing his main character and how he cuts to the core of sadness and abject loneliness we can experience even in the presence of others, or sometimes because of it.

10. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. First read in high school this is one I come back to again and again. I can exactly say why, but I love it. Reminds me of what it was to be young and stupid.

11. Little Children by Tom Perotta. Not exactly considered great literature, but I loved it. It was pretty intense and the characters were so real and relate-able that I could not put it down.

12. Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare. Who doesn't love the most tragic love story ever? Again first assigned in high school, but I re-read it every once in a while because I always pick up something I missed before. It probably has two of the best movie adaptations ever (although I prefer the first one).

13. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. I love children's stories in general but these made my list because of just how obsessive they made me. A Wrinkle in Time was a close second, but Harry still wins.

And the honorable mention goes to Kurt Vonnegut. One of my favorite authors ever but I couldn't pick just one.



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have some very similar taste in reading. Night was incredible~ As were quite a few of the others on your list. Though 1 through 3 I've never read. They are now officially added to my list~ Loved this!

Lisa said...

Night had me crying so much. That's the only one I've seen off your list. Looks like I have more books to order.

Alicia said...

I need to do this meme; it's so up my alley.

I've read quite a few of the books on your list, including part of The Story of O. I couldn't get through the whole thing, though:)

Alicia said...

Oh, and I totally thought you were 13 days late when I saw the title, and I was HOLY CRAP!

leaner said...

I am with Alicia. I thought you were saying that there was a bun in your oven.