Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ryan's First Race

Ryan ran his first ever race on Saturday. He was super excited for it and talked about nothing but that for a week in advance. It was part of a race that Mark runs annually to support Hospice. He ran the ten mile, Ry (and I) ran the 1/4 mile.

At the starting line, Ryan was not so sure of those obnoxious parents around us who I don't think understood "fun run" and pushed us out of the way to get to the front of the line. The kicker was the mom who ran her 4 year-old through the entire race. Way to allow your child the experience.


So off the starting horn went, and slowly, so did we. He did great for the first 500 feet or so, and then looked up at me as if to say, 'mom, what the hell are we doing?" Although I did not have a good answer for him, I encouraged him to keep running and focus on the "fun." He wasn't having it until we rounded the third corner and he could see the finish line, then he took off.



The running gait is something new for him, and completely hilarious. He gets so excited and pumps his arms so hard he looks about to take off. After the race... of course comes food, and dancing? He thought the music was awesome and treated us to a dance (sorry it's sideways, I didn't realize it when I hit record).

8 comments:

Homeslice said...

he did a great job! what a great experience.

Annita said...

Oh no! Is this a prelude to a "Like Father, Like Son" kind of story?

Ryan is super cute, and looks super-excited to sport his medallion. Good job to both of you!

Lweeks said...

You two look so cute! Way to run Ry Ry! You better watch out there Sara - you could end up losing your boy to the sport with your hubby. Of course it could be worse, much worse.

Jess said...

That's awesome! He looks like he really had fun and he looks proud of that metal hanging around his neck.

He's got some great dance moves!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Congrats to all three of you!! How cool is that!? Ryan looks like he's having a blast...and so proud! I love it!

Alicia said...

That's awesome! I'm sure he'll be talking about it for the next week, too.

Christina said...

That is so great! He is such a cutie and you rock for allowing him to have fun with it.

jae said...

Yay Ryan! Go get em!