Ryan was all set to start preschool today. I checked at our Y a couple of weeks ago if I could get him on the wait list, and miracle of miracles, they had a spot in the Tuesdays and Thursdays PM class. Our town started offering free preschool to 4-year-old's and it wiped out their enrollment. I was ecstatic because I thought we'd have to wait until next fall. Not only did they have an opening, but because they were losing so many to our free program, they lowered the cost - to $96 a month. I know... incomprehensible right?!
I filled out all the paperwork and got him a physical (thankfully he needed no shots). I talked to the director who mentioned that they follow the school schedule of our neighboring town, but that he should be all set to start on the 11th.
Now, I know today was Veteran's Day, (thank you Vets), but I don't have a school-aged child so I had no clue it was a holiday celebrated by having children stay home. Ryan had been waiting for me on the stairs this morning saying, "I start school today mommy!" All of us were beyond excited. I re-arranged my client schedule and was set to meet Mark at 12:30. I got there at 12:15 and thought it curious there were so many kids. 'Why aren't they in school', I thought? Yeah, I'm not the quickest.
Mark and Ryan show up and we enter the building, only to see the preschool room dark as night. As soon as Ryan figured out what that meant, he started crying. I almost did too. We confirmed that everything was closed today and tried to console Ryan with no luck. He was most upset. So to calm him, we let him play for a while in the highly over populated play area and mommy agreed to endure a movie with him, all by myself.
He was great during the movie - Madagascar 2, which was pretty cute - and he was good the entire rest of the afternoon. However, since he now starts on Thursday, I can't go because I have two client meetings that would be interrupted. I am so sad about this. I feel like a horrible mommy that I'm letting work come first, but I jumped through hoops already to reschedule today and I don't think work will look highly upon it (or pay me). I can't believe I'm going to miss the first day of school. I think I'll go take off the first day of kindergarten off now. I know it's a year and a half away, but apparently I need plenty of prep time.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
oooooh poor sara and ryan and mark. that sucks!!! my kids were also off today. we also endured madagascar II. i fell asleep. good luck on thursday and try not to feel too guilty about it . . .
Oh what a bummer!!! Make Mark take tons of pictures and know that Ry will be so excited that there are actually people there that he'll do just fine on Thursday...
That sucks Sara! My kids went to school today, so I guess it just depends where you are. I'm bummed that you won't get to go on Thursday, but you are not a bad mommy for missing it. Tell Mark to take tons of pictures!
Wish Ryan good luck!
That really sucks, Sara! I can't believe the director didn't see that they weren't open on the day he told you to come in for Ryan's first day. That's just a total bummer.
I hope he has a great day tomorrow. If you have a video camera, make Mark shoot some video for you. Then you can watch it with Ryan later tomorrow night, and he can tell you exactly how he was feeling.
You're not a bad mommy, Sara; no worries on that.
That totally sucks, poor little guy (and of course poor mom).
My school was open yesterday, but like Jess said I guess it all just depends on where you are.
And do make sure your hubby takes lots of pictures for you. I can't wait to hear all about how much Ryan enjoys his first day of school though :)
I'm with Alicia, the director should have told you they were closed on Veterans' Day, or at least given you a calendar with this kind of information. Katerina didn't have school either, but the next county's schools were open Tuesday. Unless they tell you, you can't know!
Ryan will be too excited today to really miss you. Of course you'd rather be there to experience all that but you are a working parent. I know my husband wishes he could be around more. Post about how Ryan's real first day went!
Post a Comment