Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bah Humbug

I am not a very Christmas-y person. I don't really have any strong religious beliefs that would make me HAVE to be into it. I know my son enjoys it, so for the last couple years I've tried, but ultimately, I am a scrooge. For me, this time of year is more stressful than enjoyable. My need to be perfect comes out full force and I struggle to be sane when there is so much that needs to be done. I can't rest until everything is just so. I drive myself batty.

Today did not help. Mark runs races all the time. Normally he does his thing and I stay home with Ryan. But today? Nope. Was not allowed. Santa was going to be there so I was forced by Ryan and Mark, and some whining from both parties, to go. We were up by 7, out the door before 8, and there before 8:30. All without coffee. It was also freezing. So cold that your eyes tear up. Then, your tears freeze. Then, you can't blink and you vision gets all blurry. Your skin is burnt from contact with the cold. It was that cold. Not only that, but everyone wears jingle bells, so that was all you could hear. And did I mention skinny, fit people who wake at the butt crack of dawn annoy the ever loving shit out of me? I mean, that's great for them, but do you have to be so damn cheery about it? (Sadly, on a side note, runner's are some of the nicest, most considerate people I've ever met. Damn them!)

We came home to shower and get dressed, then headed out again. To the mall. To see Santa. Have you ever seen those movies where the crazy person runs around in tattered clothes, screaming and babbling incoherently and generally looking insane? Yeah, well, that's me in a mall right before Christmas. I finish my shopping at least a month before Thanksgiving in order to avoid the chaos. I don't enjoy needing valium to venture out of my house, nor do I enjoy the pushing and shoving and lines nor the overwhelming (albeit beautiful) lights and Christmas music every where you go. For some people this is fun. For me this is hell.

We get to the mall and were going to eat first, but the restaurant that we would typically take Ryan to had a mile long line. We change plans and go some where else. Momma grabs a drink. Then we go to visit Santa. Ryan actually waited patiently, staring in amazement at the fountains and lights, even after Santa vamoosed to use the potty.

We get up to Santa and, unlike previous years where he screamed, cried, or refused to let go of me, he did very well. He and Santa happily chatted and Ryan told him that he wants "Hungry Hippos" (which Santa is all over - as she bought it months ago. I'm not looking forward to the day when his requests aren't so simple). Despite Ryan's seeming comfort with Santa this year, the hilarious photo Santa's elves took tells a different story... one of a ragamuffin who is leery of a shady Santa. I don't know how to scan photos, but I did get one with our camera that actually turned out better.
Yay, one more rite of Christmas passage over.

Then on to get a tree. I found a great one (aka, it will fit and it's close to the door) right off the bat. We loaded it up and were on our way in less than ten minutes. This makes momma very happy.

We are home, the tree is up but not yet decorated and I am ready for a nap. Sadly, I won't be getting one. At least I am back in the relative safety of my own home, where hopefully no carolers or magical reindeer will appear. After a brief respite I'm going to attempt to begin the hours long oddessy of decorating the "perfect" tree. Only 19 more days to get through right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh sara, i am so going to call you right now and carol in you ear!

Anonymous said...

for being a scrooge, you got a hell of a lot of Christmas-y stuff done in one weekend. Way more than me. I like to be stressed out and frantic right to the end:)

Anonymous said...

I'm totally calling when you are at work this week and leaving random Christmas songs on your voicemail! LOL~
I LOVE the picture of Ry with Santa...absolutely adorable!!
P.S. When I read about all the runners decked out in jingle bells, I was totally jealous that I wasn't there! That could, perhaps, make me eligible for therapy. ;)

Lweeks said...

I hear ya babe. I put that lunacy to bed a few years back. It is the season to share with your loved ones and peace on earth. Let Ryan make ornaments and hang them. He'll be thrilled and you can relax! Love ya!