This was our third attempt at potty training. I tried getting him used to the potty first when he was about a year and a half old. No dice. He wanted nothing to do with it. He also never minded dirty diapers, so he could care less if he was making a mess. Tried again at about 2 1/2. Figured maybe he was a little older and he'd have more interest. Uh, no. He wouldn't even sit. We kept the potty out all the time and asked him occasionally if he wanted to try it, showed him all the bribes, and stickers, and charts, and he said an unequivocal "NO".
So, at 3 1/4, I decided it was definitely time. He can talk, he can do things on his own, he wants to be a big boy. So... I took him to Target to pick out his own potty. He let me know, finally, that he was scared of all the other potty's we'd tried because he was afraid of falling in or his butt stuck to them. He picked out one he loved and makes music when he goes. It's now a phantom potty though and goes off whenever it wants, not just when he uses it, but... It WORKED! He's not done yet, and still has an accident a day and saves poops for his pull-up right before bed, but one hurdle is down. Can you see my ecstatic face?
The newest thing, and the thing that worked the most? Bribing him with Hulk Hands. He saw them on TV and then in Target, and he flipped over them. I bought them and stuck them on the kitchen counter and told him he could have them when he filled his sticker chart. He only needs three more. Is it weird to be this proud?
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's awesome. Anything to get it to work. Aaron was 4 before he was fully potty trained. I thought I was going to lose my mind over all the dirty diapers and such.
I hope he gets those hulk hands soon!
Post a Comment