Thursday, June 19, 2008

Recent Zen Changes

In my striving to become clearer and to get out of my head so much, I used an article sent recently by a friend (ok, ex-boyfriend, but once in a while he does have good ideas). It has many, many tips but my favorite was 72 ways to live a more Zen life. Some worked.

1. This was not on the list but I cleaned my despicable-hate-to-show anyone shower with shampoo. They recommended the clean as you go method which has actually been working out, but a reader posted this tip and it has changed my life. Yes, I get excited by the small things. But I cleaned my shower and crap I haven't been able to get up since moving in came out - with just shampoo! Call me floored. I am no longer embarrassed by it even though it's not likely to make the pages of Home and Garden any time soon.

2. Clean as you go. Basically, if you make a mess, clean it right away. I used to ignore crap and let it sit until Ryan went to bed, and then surprise, I am too tired to keep going. Instead of cleaning what I intended to get to, I'd go to bed. I've been doing it for a week, and my house is all the better for it. So am I. I am not stressed every night worrying about irritating Mark by having the house a mess when he gets home. (Which is a story for another time.)

3. I have slowed down in the car. I drive for work, so I have no way around driving. I have started going "closer" to the speed limit though and it has done three things to make me feel better: it's better for the environment, I use less gas, and I am so much calmer. Not only am I calmer in the car, but I am also calmer when I get to my destinations. When I notice myself speeding, I slow down and take a few deep breaths. I've been amazed at how tense I am. When I stop and think about it I can feel my shoulders hunched and my breath slowing. I consciously make myself stop. Feel better instantly.

4. I have also been meditating while driving (with my eyes open of course). I have a hard time meditating in general because I tend to think too much (also a story for another time). I cannot get into it at home. I always think of something else I need to be doing RIGHT then instead of clearing my head. So when I do it in the car, I have no where else, other than where I am going, to be and no other way of getting there. I don't space out enough to get in an accident or miss my destination, but I do completely and totally focus on the moment.

5. I am taking at least one opportunity every day to focus on something and remember the moment. Yesterday it was taking Ryan to the playground and watching him run with glee all over the damn place. I watched on with a smile, but when the wind picked up and ruffled my hair - that was my moment. I didn't plan it, but I allowed myself to feel it. I was totally present right then and there. Such a rarity for me.

So, go clean your shower with shampoo and let me know how happy it makes you!


Link is: http://zenhabits.net/2008/06/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-simplifying-your-life-and-way-more/

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Awesome ideas. I kinda use my driving time as my 'thinking time'. I reflect on my life and my kids. Since I can't get anything done but drive, It's a great place to do all that extra thinking.
I have a hard time with the 'clean as I go' thing. I prefer to do it all at once. I have gotten better with the kitchen though. I at least throw out all the trash as I go instead of putting it in the sink with the dishes then sorting through it while loading the dishwasher. I've also begun loading the dishwasher as I go too, which keeps the sink clean. Cleaning the shower with shampoo sounds weird to me. Is it okay if I use the shower cleaner Scrubbing bubbles came out with? That way, I only have to push a button.

Alicia said...

I'm so gonna try the shampoo thing. I hate icky soap scum.

Anonymous said...

I love the "clean as you go" idea. I try to do this as much as possible and it really does make a difference.

I would love to see more of these ideas if you have a book title or a link.

Homeslice said...

dude. you can clean your shower with SHAMPOO??

SHAMPOO?????

all those nights of scrubbing on hands and knees with bleach are over, baby!!!

thanks for the tips :-)