Sunday, November 2, 2008

2008 ING New York City Marathon

The largest marathon in the world. And he did it with a finish time of 4 hours, 49 minutes.

We arrived Saturday at around 12p, earlier than expected because we were all too excited to sleep. We made it in just over 5 hours (would have been less without multiple potty breaks, including one in West Orange, NJ, and I gotta tell you, not much there, even a bathroom). We drove right into the city via the Holland Tunnel because we couldn't check into the hotel until after 3, and well, I am just impatient and wanted to see my sister already!

The boys pretty much hit it off immediately, which is great since they hadn't seen each other in anything other than pictures for three years. We even got to finally meet Adam, Ryan's only little blonde haired cousin. Ry and Adam, although the closest in age, had some issues getting along without physical torture, but Andrew, Alex and Ry got on like champs.

Since I knew Mark would be anxious until he had packet in hand (no packet, no race) I urged him and Al to head uptown to the Expo, after fueling up on more coffee, and Caren and I took all four kids to the playground - apparently a hot spot for Jon Stewart, but sadly, no sightings. He might be short, but I might have been climbing on him, not the playground equipment if he had been there.

NYC has some awesome packed playgrounds. The kids worked out their kinks, got to know one another, and even tried to teach Ryan how to toss a football. Sadly, he's not a natural and has been blessed with his mother's lack of co-ordination. Poor kid. I had to work really hard on my mother hen complex and back off and let the kid play. I am not used to so many people and my anxiety and over-protective parent radar was on high alert. Caren and I then took the kids all to Applebee's for lunch, then back to the apartment for a quick rest for Adam and I, while the boys destroyed the place.

Couple hours later, Mark and Al made it back, and although he was drooling, Mark did not buy anything other than a t-shirt. Pretty damn impressive for a man who owns an entire closet of nothing other than t-shirts. It was almost 6, and we were all tired, so Mark and I headed to the hotel. We were hoping to stop for dinner at something we found on the way back, but NY is not like Rochester. You don't stop unless you want to be hit, and even if you could find a restaurant there is no parking anywhere, unless you are willing to fork out $10 an hour. We had already paid $40 for parking at Caren's, so we ordered room service. Fine, except our first thing we saw upon entering the room was a roach on Mark's pillow. He slept alone.

Ryan however, decided he would not sleep until midnight, and kept me up by kicking me and poking me and talking to me. And then was up by 7:30, ready to go, with no chance for a nap on the horizon.

I got to Caren's about 8:30 this morning, at which time Mark was already picked up outside our hotel by a car from Al's firm, bussed to the hotel that the NYPD running club was leaving from, then transported with police escort to Staten Island, and was waiting patiently to be called to line up. He got up at 5am to sit around and wait til 10. Did I mention it didn't get above 40 degrees until after 10? He does this why? Meanwhile, we stayed and watch the start of the race, including the elite men and women, featuring this year's top female runner, Paula Radclife, aka Mark's other wanna-be girlfriend.

Caren and I headed to Starbuck's and grabbed real NYC bagel for breakfast. Ryan did a face plant immediately after leaving the building, earning himself a bloody nose and an M&M cookie. We decided the easiest route the uptown was via subway. Unfortunately the closest subway stop had no elevators for the strollers. Ever take four kids though a subway station? Yeah, I don't want to again either.

Ryan loved the trains, but not his crazy mom who wouldn't let him venture into the path of said oncoming trains. He was most unhappy to be bolted to the stroller. About 20 minutes later we came up right by the southern tip of Central Park and managed to make it to the race line as all the top female (minus Paula who had already won) and male runners were rounding Columbus Circle, the last turn before the finish line. They moved DAMN fast. You can see it on TV and comprehend it intellectually, but to see it in person was awe-inspiring. 12 miles per hour folks. Not on my radar as a remote possiblity without a jet propulsion pack.

Since whoever planned the marathon was oblivious to logistics, we had to walk around the outside of Columbus Circle to get to the park and under a Law and Order bridge (chunk chunk) to get to the viewing stands at the finish line. You had to have special VIP passes, which we did, and it was awesome because from out vantage point we could look out over all the incoming runners and see them finish, as well as the jumbo screen which showed people's faces as they finished.
We saw some hilarious runners, including one guy who skipped -you know, like you did as a kid - the whole race, one in a banana hammock (ala Borat), two Braveheart guys in kilts and face paint, Buzz Lightyear, Batman and Robin (from the 70's) and the Batman (from now), and one guy in a really and truly uncomfortable looking dinosaur costume. You couldn't pay me to run the thing in general, much less in costume. Given the cold and the chafing potential, the guy in the banana hammock may never be able to concieve children - or sit - again.

At about the 4 hour mark I started biting my fingernails. Mark, at the half way point, was on perfect pace to finish at four hours. As the minutes wore on I got slightly scared that I had missed him. There was soooo many runners it was a valid fear. He was wearing an NYPD bib so you'd figure he'd be easy to spot, but you never know. We also did not have the official clock for his start time so I couldn't be entirely sure where he was. (Every one started in waves this year instead of starting at the same time to cut down on confusion and traffic).

Just when I had myself completely convinced I had missed him, I heard Caren from the ground, who had stayed with Adam and the strollers, screaming for Mark. He saw her, but sadly did not see us. But I saw him. And I have to admit, I had to hold back a tear. I have never been so proud of him in our entire life together.

Can you spot him without help?
Yeah, I was there and saw him and still had a hard time picking him out. He is in he middle lane, with his hands raised, wearing the long sleeved black shirt. The noted finish time was not right given the staggered starts.

So he finished and we set on the debacle to find him. For everything they planned for the start of the race, having people who had just run 26.2 miles have to cross a huge bridge of stairs or walk several miles to get anywhere to even catch a cab is just pure insanity. Here's a pic I got from the bridge of all the finishers - for about a 3 minute time span. Get now why I was worried about missing him?
So after walking about another 45 minutes, Mark, Al, Alex, Ryan and I decide enough was enough and we caught a cab back to the apartment. Mark ordered a well deserved burger and we drove back to the hotel, where although Mark and I are ready to literally pass out, Ryan is talking and telling Mark all about his day. It's 8:45. He's gotten 15 hours of sleep in two days. I don't know how he's doing it.

Oh, and just to humiliate him again (after last years staged photo) here's one of him in his ice bath. Crazy man!Tomorrow it's some touristy things in the AM before we begin our trek back home. I will truly miss New York (City).

4 comments:

Homeslice said...

holy crap! please tell mark i said congrats. that is quite the accomplishment!!! and more pictures of the city!!! i wanna see!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!! I teared up just reading about his race...that is seriously awesome~ I am proud of him, and I don't even know him! LOL~
Loved the pics and the commentary...it's so cool to hear from an insider's perspective. I am in awe of these people. And yes...I love NYC too. D.Jones keeps thinking we should move there and perhaps...some day...but not just yet.

Alicia said...

Congrats Mark!

I am so tired after reading this. This is why I look at people like they have 3 heads when they ask if I'll be taking Ellie into the city anytime soon.

Lweeks said...

Wow! I am in awe of your hubby! Congrats to him. Congrats to you for braving the NYC subway with kids in tow. So proud of you two.